Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Making a Greenland Paddle

A Greenland style paddle struck me as a good idea because they seem much more robust and useful in the canoe.  My experience in a canoe or kayak tells me you use your paddle pushing yourself off obstacles as much as for propulsion so a solid, robust paddle is essential.  


I was intrigued by some of the online references showing dimensions based on anthropometric measurements and designed this paddle based on the floor to extended fingertip dimension for overall length and shoulder width for loom length.  The paddle width is about 80mm and should be comfortable to use as a handle.  The loom diameter about 30mm.

www.qajaqusa.org
www.tuktupaddles.com

The paddle started as a laminated core of 10mm Jarrah sandwiched between to pieces of 10mm Hoop Pine.   Once cured additional scraps of old Oregon ceiling battens and my first application of my Sydney Cedar to build up the paddle width.


With the blank completed I have started shaping the paddle by cutting saw kerfs along the length to identify the rough finished shape.


The bulk of the material was removed with the table saw, draw knife and sanding disk.  Finish sanded by hand and a coat of epoxy to protect.


Look forward to writing the performance review ... eventually.