Saturday, February 11, 2012

The cut of my jib

As my self imposed induction period slowly inches towards 150 hours at the helm,  I am starting to think about how the boat SHOULD be set up.  When I first started building I would spend hours wondering where I was going to position the cleats, run the lines, etc etc.  I realised I had no idea how the boat was going to work so I decided not to labour over design details and just finish it.  Five years after launch I have clocked up 123 hours at the helm which is not quite one month of full time work (4 x 5 x 7.5 = 150).


Yesterday's jib trials were interesting.  I was wondering if adding a jib was a worth while exercise so we hoisted a small jib up the mainsail, and together with the mizzen, made our way across the lake in blustery conditions.  It was slow going so if I were to change the rig I would need to increase the size of the jib and mizzen to be able to use them so I'm not sure it is worth the effort.

Three hours at the helm brings the total to 123 hours.