Saturday, July 14, 2012

Bread and butter boat

Almost six months ago I had a great idea to make a toy pond yacht from my windfall Sydney cedar.  I have never used "bread and butter" construction method but thought it would be ideal for a toy yacht because it should be fairly quick to carve out a small pilot cutter.  I started with a central board and cut the profile to include the keel and cut three additional boards each side.  It's not exactly to plan but the basic shape is right.



I made a point of keeping the hull length long enough to test buoyancy in the kitchen sink and found the hull floated slightly to one side and the stern sunk right down to the waterline.  I corrected the center of gravity with a 250gram block of cheese and estimated about 25ml of lead would do the job.