Thursday, February 28, 2013

Success at last

Canoe building has been progressing slowly but I am at the point where I need to decide how to do the cockpit coaming.  Ideally I wanted to put a curved timber coaming on the last canoe but my steam bending technique wasn't good enough. Whilst I have had some luck achieving gentle bends I have never really been able to get a tight curve.  I have spent all my spare time in the last couple of weeks trying to fine tune my steam bending.  My first step forward was to remake my water tank with a spout for easy refills and two outlets to supply more steam more evenly in the steam box.  The second improvement was to make the former with a cover strap.  It is not really a compression strap but it does help distribute the load as I bend reducing splinters.  The last and most important improvement was to add a thermometer so I can consistently reach 100 degrees.





Sunday, February 24, 2013

WBA Rye sailing day

After a slow start winds picked up in the afternoon so we could get in a leisurely couple of hours sailing, bringing the total to 137 hours.  Great turnout with lots of interesting characters and their interesting boats.  Stay tuned to my youtube channel in the coming weeks to see some of the video of the day.

licensed2tinker on youtube


Monday, February 11, 2013

Hacksaw video, by popular demand

Don't ask me to explain, but based on my Youtube stats licensed2tinker readers just can't get enough of my power hacksaw.  I had a job for the hacksaw this week so I rolled it out, dusted it off and took some more video. Originally the design was published in February 1964 Popular Science magazine (open link here).  The design is interesting because, unlike a conventional power hacksaw, it doesn't require a precision machined sliding rail.  The movement relies on bushes which are relatively easy to make.  In my case I machined simple bushes and washers out of steel.  I also beefed up the structure to be able to cut 50mm solid bar.  Take my word for it.  If you need to cut a lot of steel go out and buy yourself a horizontal bandsaw.  If, like me, you have a choice between cutting 50mm solid bar by hand or not cutting 50mm solid bar at all, you might like to try making this hacksaw from scrap.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Getting to know Marisol

Launch day for Marisol was more an opportunity for me to see how she floated rather than to do any paddling.  This morning was my first genuine attempt at getting from point A to point B.  After my initial embarrassments trying to stay afloat I managed to set myself up so that I was comfortable and stable enough to actually paddle somewhere.  I successfully paddled from one side of the beach to the other without falling out.  The first improvement was to get rid of the canoe seat I had made.  It was too high and sitting on the floor was comfortable enough. The next improvement will be to remake the rudder assembly.  As drawn the rudder arms are way too long so I will be cutting the down to match the four inch pedal travel.  Also there is too much stretch in my rudder lines so they will need to be beefed up.  I guess that's standard procedure for me.  Build as best I can to launch and then fine tune the details.  All good fun.


Friday, February 1, 2013

Canoe number two

With canoe number one, Marisol, officially launched and in the water for almost and hour it's time to focus my attention on canoe number two.  Canoe number two is the 14ft model and the plan is to have a more open cockpit.  After pulling the hull out of storage and moving it to the centre of the workshop I have fitted the deck structure and started painting inside.  I have also made another greenland paddle for myself.  This canoe has much better plank lines than canoe number one.  For some reason I seemed to struggle with the planking on the 12ft version.