Monday, February 11, 2013

Hacksaw video, by popular demand

Don't ask me to explain, but based on my Youtube stats licensed2tinker readers just can't get enough of my power hacksaw.  I had a job for the hacksaw this week so I rolled it out, dusted it off and took some more video. Originally the design was published in February 1964 Popular Science magazine (open link here).  The design is interesting because, unlike a conventional power hacksaw, it doesn't require a precision machined sliding rail.  The movement relies on bushes which are relatively easy to make.  In my case I machined simple bushes and washers out of steel.  I also beefed up the structure to be able to cut 50mm solid bar.  Take my word for it.  If you need to cut a lot of steel go out and buy yourself a horizontal bandsaw.  If, like me, you have a choice between cutting 50mm solid bar by hand or not cutting 50mm solid bar at all, you might like to try making this hacksaw from scrap.