Thursday, February 28, 2013

Success at last

Canoe building has been progressing slowly but I am at the point where I need to decide how to do the cockpit coaming.  Ideally I wanted to put a curved timber coaming on the last canoe but my steam bending technique wasn't good enough. Whilst I have had some luck achieving gentle bends I have never really been able to get a tight curve.  I have spent all my spare time in the last couple of weeks trying to fine tune my steam bending.  My first step forward was to remake my water tank with a spout for easy refills and two outlets to supply more steam more evenly in the steam box.  The second improvement was to make the former with a cover strap.  It is not really a compression strap but it does help distribute the load as I bend reducing splinters.  The last and most important improvement was to add a thermometer so I can consistently reach 100 degrees.