Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fifty percent capacity

The last couple of weeks have been pretty slow in the workshop.  It's not that I haven't been working it's more that there hasn't been any noticeable progress on any projects.  Some might see a glass half empty, others might see a glass half full.  Here at the tinkerers workshop we see a glass at fifty percent capacity.  This week has seen multiple projects reach noticeable milestones.

Canoe number two has come out of the paint shop and I'm very happy with the result.  I'm keen to get a wriggle on fitting the floors and possibly even launching before the dead of winter.

Canoe number 2
Canoe number 2
















Canoe number 2
Canoe number 2
















In the mean time Son of Tinkerer has got wind of my recent purchase of my first real carving gouge and requested my old gouge made from a half round file.  The old file was cut in half and ground to shape with and angle and bench grinder.  The blank was tempered in the oven at 200 degrees and slowly cooled.  The edge was then sharpened and polished on the polishing mop.  It cuts quite well but needs constant sharpening. 

Carving gouge made from a half round file
Carving gouge made from a half round file
















Last but not least my second bent wood bread basket has been finished, this time with a pine base because that's what happened to be at the top of my wood pile.  I think I have perfected the copper stitching by sticking with a 10mm stitch length.  For some reason the wire seemed to stiffen when I used a 5mm stitch length on the previous job.  Could the copper be work hardening?

Bread basket number two
Bread basket number two