Saturday, June 8, 2013

Veneering trials

With precisely zero knowledge or experience in veneer work the plan is to follow Matt Furjanic's instructions from his veneering101 video.  Initially I cut and dressed a batch of hoop pine and Australian cedar to 1mm thickness and glued a couple of squares to some scrap plywood just to see if it would work as a chess board.  Then I made up an MDF core framed in cedar and applied a diagonal veneer.  Matt Furjanic tells us this is to prevent "telegraphing".  I have no idea what that means but I get the impression it is not some thing I want in the finished piece.  With the risk of "telegraphing" under control I cut each square and taped them together with plain masking tape.  With the addition of a thin two colour frame the veneer layer was glued, clamped and trimmed.

So far so good.